Common and perfectly sensible questions from SMBs that we hear all the time include:
- Should we train our existing staff to perform the transition? (Or should we get consultants?)
- How do we make sure that we have, in fact, defined the most efficient architecture to meet our business needs? (After all, we haven’t done this before.)
- And how do we know that the architecture we’ve defined as efficient (see above) is the most cost-effective solution? (We don’t want to end up crippled by unnecessary costs.)
If you’re an SMB, the most important thing to focus on in this situation is the business need.
In theory, it may sound like a fantastic idea to train your staff to perform the transformation. After all, it’s always great to be self-sufficient, right? And in some cases, cross fingers, it may all turn out brilliantly.
However, there are some points consider if pondering a DIY approach:
- How much will it cost you to train your staff to perform the activities needed (think course fees and resource times?)
- Will the training provide your people with enough expertise to efficiently complete the work at hand and with the least obstacles? (Remembering that too little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.)
- Will the approach that you’ve taken turn out to be the most efficient and cost-effective option?
Working with a cloud-first Managed Service Provider (MSP) will remove a lot of uncertainty and risk from the above approach. The fundamental principles which have led to the mass adoption of cloud computing services are the exact reasons why you should consider engaging an MSP.