As the manufacturing industry begins repositioning for recovery, top manufacturers rely on their ERP Solutions to accelerate innovation, boost brand equity, drive growth through customer-centric processes and optimise supply chain performance.
Robust manufacturing solutions such as Oracle JD Edwards and NetSuite provide real-time visibility across an entire organisation, enabling superior manufacturing resource planning (MRP), leaner manufacturing production processes and better supply chain management. With ERP organisations can better manage production schedules, inventory, capacity and customer satisfaction levels more efficiently, dynamically and profitably.
Businesses look to ERP systems to meet the following critical manufacturing and distribution needs:
- Manage component quantities and multi-level assemblies more effectively by building on information across inventory and warehouse management
- Build multi-level assemblies one level at a time or all at once.
- Replenish standing inventory levels of finished goods or special-order work built to exact specifications for a particular customer
- Continuously monitor stock levels for automatic re-stocking and re-ordering, for instance, auto-generating purchase orders to support just-in-time (JIT) re-ordering.
Bill of Materials (BOM)
- Cover all of the components required for a single assembly, as well as the components required by a particular work order, with multi-level BOM functionality
- Include assembly instructions with the printable BOM in PDF format.
- Improve forecasting accuracy and sharpen responsiveness to customer demand by taking into account both sales order and forecasted demands
- Rapidly boost profitability with improved days on-hand (DOH) inventory reporting.
Product History Tracking
- Maintain a complete history for each product assembly and kit so that warehouses can more efficiently track component levels and manage raw materials, WIP and finished product inventories
- View final products as individual units or with all components listed and serialized
- Tear down builds and reuse components if needed.
Manufacturing Requirements Planning (MRP)
- The MRP engine uses industry-proven algorithms and proceed level-by-level through the bill of materials (BOM) starting with the top level, reviewing the demands and safety stock requirements and netting out the inventory and firmed (or greater) supplies
- The review process also covers first suggested reschedules for firmed (or greater) supplies and creates planned supplies as appropriate.
- Production Engineering ensures that changes propagate effectively and intelligently, and that engineering changes are reflected in down-stream deliverables, plans and inventories
- Capabilities include item master maintenance, bill of material maintenance, item and bill of material revision control and engineering change control.
Shop Floor Control
- Leverage 360-degree visibility to gain more control over WIP and manufacturing operations and management—with real-time status updates and seamless data capture to help track, manage and optimise cycle times
- Manage the lifecycle of the work order and the routing that's used as a basis for defining the steps or processes that are required in item assembly and manufacture.
- Enhance P/L variance with deep analytics and tracking controls, which assist in understanding planned versus actuals to help drive business success
- Project Control capability also enables inventory control tracking as well as planning and costing of items
- Plan, cost and track by "item within a project" in discrete manufacturing operations where all planning, costing and tracking is based on "item numbers."
Key benefits to implementing robust and integrated manufacturing and distribution systems include:
- Reduce complexity and inefficiency with a complete manufacturing solution that enables seamless business from customers' orders to manufacturing to shipping and order tracking.
- Enable dynamic and intelligent demand planning, integrated inventory management, and procurement management—all in one system.
- Reduce lag between customers' demands and the ability to re-plan manufacturing resources, reducing inventory on-hand while reducing stock-outs and improving SLAs.
- Gain more control over the business with real-time business intelligence that constantly tracks manufacturing KPIs.